8/03/2013

A Saturday with myself

Ever have one of those weeks where you're so busy 
that the idea of doing nothing sounds like the most exciting concept in the world?

Today was one of those beautiful lazy days where,
by not forcing myself to do anything in particular, 
I let myself do lots of the things I love.

Starting the day with a doodle. 
I woke up in a sunny mood and stuck on a seriously old mix CD, 
including Shining Light by Ash, for those who recognise the lyrics. 

I made myself a promise last year that when it comes to my creative journal, 
I will not tear out pages that aren't perfect, won't rub out lines that fall in the wrong place 
and won't shy away from sharing anything less than beautiful.
I have to say, having read this and this earlier in the week, I think it's great to share imperfection.

When I realised I was cranking out my old CDs at 7.00am on a Saturday morning 
(sorry neighbours - I don't know when exactly I became one of those morning people!)
I decided it was time for a quieter creation.
The last time I went to see my parents, my mum took me along to a little crafters' group she goes to and I learned to macrame... I've been dying to sit down and do some more as I love how it looks 
(and it's ridiculously easy to do the basics!)

...which reminded me, it's been years since I had a play on that bead loom I used to love so much...

This style of bracelet has been in every shop I walk into this Summer and I'm kicking myself for not getting myself on my loom and filling my Folksy shop up while the sun shone. 
There's nothing to stop me dragging the trend into Autumn on my own arm though!

and once I was all jewellery-making-ed out for the day, 
I figured it was time to get my bake on!

My husband has been away all week and it's meant that we've spent his birthday apart. 
Him not really being one for birthday celebrations, 
I decided the least I could do is to whip up a batch of 
Happy (late) Birthday / Welcome Home cupcakes for his return tomorrow!

 I used a simple Primrose Bakery recipe and I have to say, best buttercream icing ever!
Whilst deciding what to do with the excess, I may have eaten it all.

...and with a cupcake (yes I know I said they're for my husband, 
but you have to make sure they taste good before giving any away, right?) 
and a cup of earl grey in hand, I retired to the sofa to call one of my best friends who just got proposed to in Paris and heard the whole beautiful story, followed by a phone call to my mum to discuss my recent failed attempt at learning crochet.

What do you do with a day all to yourself?

Hope everybody is having a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love those days! Everything looks so lovely, send me a cupcake! :)

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...